Calculation of frequencies and history of tuning forks
El estudiante encuentra diferentes formas de analizar la frecuencia de un sonido comparando el sonido de diferentes diapasones mientras aprende la historia de la música.
Download the activity in the FizziQ app.
Tab "Activities", then "+", and select "Scan a QR Code"
1. A tuning fork is used to tune an instrument, but do they all have the same characteristics?
2. While searching in her grandparents' attic, Chloe discovers an old box which contains three tuning forks
3. On the oldest is written "Mozart", on another "Philharmonic Pitch" and on the more recent "A3"
4. Find the recordings of these tuning forks in the Sound Library on the Tools tab. Listen to them, what do you see?
5. What measurements can you take to differentiate these sounds?
6. Perform at least two different types of measurements (there are 3 possible with FizziQ) to compare the frequencies of the tuning forks and record the information in your logbook.
7. Create a Table to collate your results and write a conclusion that will allow you to introduce Chloe to her 3 tuning forks, from a scientific and historical point of view.
8. Tuning forks were invented in the 18th century and their frequencies have changed a lot over time. In the middle of the 20th century, international bodies agreed to define the frequency of La at 440 Hz, which is now used all over the world.
9. Chloe now knows the origin of her discovery better!